2023 Truman D. Picard Scholarship
Deadline: Friday, March 10, 2023, 5:00 p.m. PT
$2,500 for college students (number of awards varies per year)
$2,500 for grad students and graduating college seniors that are applying/accepted for grad school
$2,000 for graduating senior high school students Purpose: The Truman D. Picard Scholarship Program is dedicated to the support of Native American students pursuing a higher education in Natural Resources. Preference will be given to students whose degree or area of study directly involves management of Forest Resources.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS The Education Selection Committee will review and rank only those applicants who completely address each area. Please be specific. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
1. Letter of application: The letter must include your name, permanent mailing address, email address, and phone number. It should be a maximum of two pages in length, and discuss the following: a. Interest in Forestry and/or Wildland Fire Management. b. Commitment to education, community, and your culture. c. Financial need.
3. Three letters of reference: Must be on letterhead, signed and dated: a. If no letterhead is available through the reference’s organization the referrer should create their own. b. Digital and electronic signature accepted. c. Dated within the last six months. d. Open sealed documents, if applicable. e. Reference letters are not accepted directly from referrals, submit with your completed application.
4. Evidence of validated enrollment in a federally recognized tribe or Alaska Native Corporation, as established by the U. S. Government. A photocopy of your enrollment card, front and back, or Certificate of Indian Blood (CIB) will suffice.
5. Transcripts: ALL students must include transcripts. Unofficial or official both accepted. Please open sealed transcripts. a. High school students must also provide college acceptance letter and class schedule to verify major before a check is released. b. College students must also provide proof of their declared major & current class schedule.
6. Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA): ALL students must complete the FASFA and attach the Student Aid Report. If it has not been completed, include last year’s report. Truman D. Picard Scholarship Announcement For Native American/Alaskan Natural Resource Students
2023 TRUMAN D. PICARD SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION CHECKLIST:
Letter of application
Resume Reference letter #1 (on letterhead, signed and dated)
Reference letter #2 (on letterhead, signed and dated)
Reference letter#3 (on letterhead, signed and dated)
Evidence of validated enrollment in a federally recognized tribe or Alaska Native Corporation
Transcripts College acceptance letter (high school) or declared major & current class schedule (college)
FAFSA student aid report
DELIVERY OF APPLICATION
Applications are accepted by Email or Mail, please chose ONE option for Delivery.
Option #1 Email: Create one email attaching all required documents from the application checklist and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org up until the close of business (5:00 p.m. PT) March 10, 2023. PDF attachment(s) preferred, download free Adobe Acrobat Reader to view and print PDF documents. Google docs are not accepted.
Option #2 Mail: Mail all required documents from the application checklist to arrive at the ITC office on or before March 10, 2023. Be sure to check local post office hours and transit time if mailing your application. ITC will not be onsite to sign for deliveries. FedEx and UPS require a physical address for delivery, please contact ITC before using one of these services. Inquiries and mailed applications should be directed to:
Intertribal Timber Council (ITC) office:
ATTN: EDUCATION COMMITTEE
INTERTRIBAL TIMBER COUNCIL
PO Box 11790 Portland, OR 97211
(503) 282-4296 phone
FINANCIAL AID AGREEMENTS The ITC has cooperative financial aid agreements with the University of Washington, Oregon State University, Salish Kootenai College, Northern Arizona University and Yale University. Recipients of the ITC Truman Picard Scholarship are eligible to receive additional scholarships including tuition waivers, if attending one of these colleges. For more information, visit the ITC website or contact the colleges