Below is a list of the 10 basic steps that you will take as you complete your schooling and work as an SKC TREES intern, before graduating and entering the workforce.
Process and Expectations
1) Complete the interested student application on the SKC TREES website.
2) Receive confirmation of eligibility to participate.
3) Send proof of school enrollment and major.
4) Send proof of tribal enrollment.
5) Review and complete service commitment.
6) Receive and complete SKC employee on-boarding docs.
7) Complete a paid summer internship according to supervisor expectations.
8) Maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 throughout college.
9) Upon receiving a conferred degree and accepting a full time job in tribal forestry or fire, any student may be eligible for a completion bonus. The awarding of completion bonuses is contingent on available funding and is not guaranteed.
10) Begin your professional career in forestry or fire.
Each year that you meet these criteria, you will receive $5,000 in tuition assistance. This money is received first by the bursar or financial aid office of the school you are attending.
Forestry interns must be enrolled in a qualified Forestry program.
Wildland Fire interns must be enrolled in any major related to the biological sciences.
All interns must be enrolled members of federally recognized tribes.