Opening: Fuels Research Assistant – Missoula Fire Sciences Lab – FILLED
Research and Development
Missoula Fire Sciences Laboratory
5775 US Highway 10 W
Missoula, MT 59808-9361
1. Sample fuels across the northern Rocky Mountains for a comprehensive study relating fuel characteristics to stand type and biophysical setting. This would involve traveling to various stands from Wyoming to Montana to Idaho and sampling fuels, trees, and vegetation.
2. Conduct a fuel survey in the Selway-Bitterroot wilderness. We are planning a 3 week wilderness sampling trip to inventory the fuels in the Whitecap drainage of the Selway-Bitterroot wilderness to map fuel conditions
3. Remeasure whitebark pine trees. Travel to whitebark pine stands out of St. Regis MT to measure the change in height and diameter of whitebark pine trees that have had daylighting treatments.
4. Assist in tree mortality studies. Measure fire-caused mortality of trees in various stands of California and Montana.
5. Measure fuels and trees of restored whitebark pine stands. Take the 5 year measurements for a set of three sites that have been treated to restore whitebark pine.
Other important information:
1. They will be on a crew of 2-4 throughout the summer.
2. They will be trained to perform all sampling (we don’t use standard sampling methods and have to teach people our methods)
3. They will be paid per diem for all travel
4. They will be working for both me and Sharon Hood
Interested applicants, please call Joshua Rosenau at 406-275-4056.